My Beautiful Dark Twisted New York Brass

beautifuldarktwisted

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy – All of the lights

I’ve been under a gag order not to talk about this until the the all-clear signal for the official release date. This has not been an easy task. I’m a gregarous person by nature as it is, but not being able to tell people that I recorded something for Kanye West!

Countdown sequence

Whoops –  cat’s out of the bag. But it’s OK.

Yes, the recording that Tony and I did back in May (featured in this blog post) was the brass for Kanye West’s “All of the Lights.” This track features Rihanna as well as cameos by John Legend, The-Dream, Fergie, Alicia Keys, Kid Cudi, Elton John (on piano), Ryan Leslie, Charlie Wilson, Tony Williams and La Roux singer Elly Jackson.  That’s a whole lot of WOW.

Kanye’s official video can be seen here, and it looks awesome.  However,  I think this version sounds great too.

All Of The Lights

Tags: , , , , ,

11 Responses to “My Beautiful Dark Twisted New York Brass”

1. newyorkbrass says:

Let us know when you’ve worked with anybody

2. Goatlips says:

‘Meme’ knows the score. Kanye West is not a genius, like he thinks he is. Most of his stuff is just ripped off and sampled hooks from original, talented artists. Take away his sampled hooks and his records have nothing (this record my or may not have samples, but it is a mess). Same goes for P Diddy. Also, it’s an embarrassment that Jay Z rules over them all, yet his only 2 decent songs (’99 Problems’ and ‘Hard Knocks Life) were rip offs of Ice T (Cube?) and Annie, respectively! LOL. Let us know when you’ve worked with Rob Dougan.

3. […] the recording session for “All of the lights” at Ken Lewis’s I caught this take one on my cam. If you raise the volume you can hear the […]

4. sooo what your saying is??

5. newyorkbrass says:

If you blow up the session pictures in flickr you can see the original music…

6. Mervin says:

Damn Meme – that’s a lot of “”””quotation marks””””””

7. Edge Closer says:

Would you happen to be able to send me a copy of the music you recorded? I play the trumpet and would thoroughly enjoy being able to play the trumpet line from the song for my friends

And good job, the brass sounds superb. it really makes the song sound epic :)

8. Jasper says:

Any way that you all are allowed, or able to, send me the trumpet music. I cant find it anywhere and I cant seem to figure it out just right. The brass line has been stuck in my head for weeks and I would love to be able to play it. Your work is amazing!
    Thanks

9. newyorkbrass says:

Hmmmm…. and this has to do with brass… how…?

10. MissNovember says:

He is the greatest rapper of all time! I love kanye west

11. Meme says:

Dear Kanye, You are indescribably obnoxious and untalented. You are not a “philanthropist of culture,” a “soldier” or a “cultural icon”. You are self-centered, boorish, eccentric, egotistical, and, quite frankly, goofy. Splicing together a bunch of odd and esoteric images with French subtitles, in a so-called “movie”, does not make you a visionary. It makes you an insufferable laughing stock. “A toast to all the douchebags”, indeed. Please go away. Thanks a bunch. Love,